BYPORTEN, "THE TOWN GATE"
The Town gate of Høyanger welcomes you to at the entrance to the town centre. With its red colour, it stretches across the road, creating a portal between the houses on either side of the road. The view towards the Høyanger church highlights the city planning that was executed in the early 1900s. The building was erected as the road to Noreide was opened, and marked a new era, where Høyanger was connected not only by water but also by road, to the rest of the world.
The houses of the town gate are two storeys, with additional basement and loft spaces. The exterior of the building is red, with small white windows. During the renovation of the building, the exterior has been protected to preserve the original expression.
Originally the houses were utilized as apartments for renting, with four apartments in each house. Built by NaCo, the owner of the aluminium factory in Høyanger, the town gate was designed by engineer Carl Frederick Borch Kloumann. Høyanger municipality took over the building in 1990 and opened the Industrial Town Museum in 1997 and the Gunnar S. Gallery in 2018.
The People's House and the Town Gate, June 1933 (Photo: Eugen Nordahl-Olsen senior Høyanger verk/Fylkesarkivet)
The town gate, 1970s. Photo: HIM
The town gate, 2015. Photo: Stian Heggenes
The town gate and the worker's monument by Kristian Blystad, summer 2015 (Photo: Stian N. Heggelund)